Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Adventuring love birds


"Where are the tent rods? Oh, no we don't have them."
"Calm down."
"No, stop."

Last week four brave young adults set out on a treacherous journey through the mountains, or maybe they went camping at a safe campsite, in a beautiful place called Pinecrest...let's go with the second one. 

The adventurers: 
Two pairs of love birds
1) my best friend + her boyfriend
2) my boyfriend + me  
Couple camping is just dandy...until you realize the extent of how differently men and woman do things. I don't mean to down play how fun camping with your significant other is, but going in know that there will be bickering. But, later, you'll both get a good laugh about how ridiculous you were both being. 

I am thankful for road trips. A 1994 truck with no air conditioning, so the windows are down the whole way, the wind and the radio full blast. Your feet on the dash board, your hand out the window. Your eyes see the roads trimmed with sunflowers and country land, your ears hear your high school sweet heart singing Biz Markie's "Just a friend" and Alanis Morissette's "Ironic." Man, I love those sunflowers, and those songs will never get old. Ever. Either will being serenaded the whole drive. 


I am thankful for:
1. Getting a campsite the day before the 4th of July.
2. Men that sacrifice almost burning themselves, over a campfire, in order to cook their girlfriends dinner.  
3. Trees
4. Delicious soft serve ice cream steps away from a lake. 
5. Friends who accept my weirdness. 

What I learned:
1. Lakeside grocery stores are more overpriced than I thought. 
2. Battle wounds make you feel one with nature. Not really, but I feel tough, okay. 
3. I never gave my mom enough credit for planning camping trips.
4. I don't have to do things my way. 
5. I could camp for months. 

No comments:

Post a Comment