Wednesday, July 17, 2013

[Em]brace yourself

This summer I started reading a Psalm or two a day. I am amazed, thankful, and humbled by what God has taught me through my reading thus far. 

Yesterday was one of those days where I felt like I was drowning in my insecurities. It always starts with one flaw and then turns into every little thing I can find "wrong" with myself. But God is a loving God and never fails to take care of me. As I sat at a coffee shop with my Bible, eyes, ears and heart wide open, God did his thing and talked some sense into me. 

"Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your Lord."
~Psalm 45:11 

This is the Bible verse God used to show me how he views me, how he views all humans- inside and out. He revealed to me that the more I love myself-how he created me-the more I can love Him, the more I can love others. 

So, that is what I'm striving to do: 
Love myself.
Embrace and overcome my insecurities.
Truly appreciate how God created me (internal and external).

The black & white profile of me above is an ode to my forehead. That's right my forehead. My forehead is one of those silly physical insecurities that I've struggled with for a long time. I'm not sure if I first thought my forehead was large, or if I started thinking that after hearing a juvenile remark from someone in high school. It's crazy how we let hurtful words define us. Hurtful words are not God's truth. They do not define us and they certainly aren't reality. 

I encourage you to show off, appropriately of course ;), the part of you that you may be insecure about. It is liberating.
If you focus on how God views you, your insecurities will start to diminish. It takes time and work, but it is well worth it.

Something I started doing is looking in the mirror, after I shower, and telling myself why I love my body. It may sound ridiculous, but the more you do it, I promise you it builds your confidence and you really will feel beautiful.

I was inspired to take the above photo of myself by Elsie and Emma's "30-Day-Self-Portrait Challenge" featured on their blog.

I feel this challenge can be a source to help embrace and overcome your insecurities.

I'm learning to love myself one thing at a time, I hope you will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment