Friday, December 6, 2013

Speak up, speak truth

People and words.
God created people and God enabled people to create and use words.
We all know people are innately flawed, thus how people choose to use their words tends to be flawed. But there are many moments when we use words in beautiful ways; those are the times when we echo God’s character.

I often think about how I've used words for good and bad, but also how I've failed to use any words at all. Those moments when I knew God wanted me to speak truth to uplift someone. It’s silly of me to allow my pride to get in the way of making someone else feel important and loved. It’s silly, but mostly selfish.

Words stick with us. They impact us, move us, and shape us. God knows this and when words are used to touch other’s lives it is glorifying to Him. I’m amazed by how God uses people to speak His truth to others.

I’ll never forget the time when I was having a bad day, feeling insecure, and not content with myself. I looked into a mirror, disappointed with what I saw. I turned away from the upsetting reflection, and there was the comforting face of a four year old girl with big brown eyes gleaming up at me.“Wow, you’re ‘bootiful’ Angel.”

My sister’s words seemed to rush into each of my insecure crevices, washing away the false perception I had of myself just moments before. God used her words to run much deeper than physical beauty. Her words were used to remind me how God sees me. There is something about innocence calling you beautiful, you know it’s sincere, you know it’s not superficial.

We should learn to use our words as genuinely and fearlessly as children. That is not to say we should blurt out words without thought. Sometimes even the right words can be said at inappropriate times.

We should analyze the occasion before speaking. Ephesians 4:29 says, “Let no unwholesome words come out of your mouths, but only what is helping for building up according to their needs, that it may benefit those that listen." 

If we use discernment while reflecting on Christ we will come to better recognize when God is calling us to speak encouragement to others. When we know its God’s yearning it’s dangerous to ignore it. 

You don’t know how your kind words will impact someone. You don’t know how God will choose to use your words.

“I want you to know that you are intelligent, beautiful, and capable.” Those are the wholesome words a professor once said to me. His words took me by surprise. No one had ever told me that so directly before.

He then looked me in the eyes, and said “People often forget this about themselves. I’m not going to have to remind you am I?”

I laughed and told him I would try to remember.
  
I needed to hear those words. I feel somehow my professor knew, or maybe he didn’t, but I know God did. I will always be thankful for that conversation, and I will always remember his words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment