Monday, March 3, 2014

Companions, coffee, and cats

 






    • one of a pair of things intended to complement or m
com-pan-ion
-noun

1. a person or animal with whom one spends a lot of time or with whom one travels.
2. one of a pair of things intended to complement or match each other. 

It's funny how as children we did not fully grasp the meaning of things, yet we fully put our hearts into things, and subconsciously chose to fully embrace life.

As a young child I may not have been able to fully articulate the importance of community, but I lived it out. I loved being with my friends and family. I did not go around declaring how thankful I was for community, but I showed my thankfulness through acts. I loved writing my friends and family letters and making them homemade presents, for no reason-no birthday or holiday necessary.     

Children are still growing and processing, so yes, they often are selfish and immature. But, they have something down that we tend to dismiss: the ability to wholeheartedly embrace life. To wholeheartedly embrace their community. 

Yes, children have those "No, it's about me," moments. But I would dare to say adults have those moments more often than the young ones.

We get older. Our hearts tend to harden. We become busy. We forget to express our gratitude for those around us. 

We never lose the ability to wholeheartedly embrace, but rather we forget. Our busy lives and even our goals can blind us-we can easily become selfish.

I know I am selfish... a lot. I let my insecurities and goals overtake me. As I age I do not want to forget. I do not want to forget how to show love and gratitude through simple, yet powerful acts. Let's learn from children, as they learn from us.

As adults we may be able to fully articulate the importance of community, but are we living it out?  

Ps. I like cats now. So weird. 

No comments:

Post a Comment