Friday, March 20, 2015

Resting in paradox


I'm drawn to the bits and pieces, the in between, the gray, the fragments, the unfinished parts, the uncertainty of it all.

And yet it scares me-- what a paradox. I am drawn to this too-- the paradoxical. Or rather it draws me in and I don't repel or refute; I embrace and engage.


par·a·dox

ˈperəˌdäks/
noun
  1. a statement or proposition that, despite sound (or apparently sound) reasoning from acceptable premises, leads to a conclusion that seems senseless, logically unacceptable, or self-contradictory.

par·a·dox·i·cal
ˌperəˈdäksək(ə)l/
adjective
  1. seemingly absurd or self-contradictory.


These definitions appear negative, for most seemingly illogical things are not desirable. And yet, paradoxes can lead to curiosity, which lead to questions, which may never lead to answers, but rather growth, then wisdom. And wisdom by definition is desirable. 

wis·dom
ˈwizdəm
noun
  1. the quality of having experience, knowledge, and good judgment.

  2.      the soundness of an action or decision with regard to the application of experience, knowledge,     
  3.      and good judgment.


And so, the word paradox is a paradox within itself. I find that beautiful, just as I do the bits and fragments and in between and uncertainty. These things that make up and lead to other things-- bigger and more whole things.


A funny thing to think I will rest, as to say find peace, in this uncertainty, for it is what will grow me, grow all of us. We will grow from not knowing, because it will lead to knowing-- a paradox I am content resting in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment