Monday, June 22, 2015

The Liebster Award: connecting bloggers


When I began this little space of mine I didn't have a list of expectations or big dreams, I simply wanted a creative outlet that expressed authenticity. And in the midst of it all unexpected things happened: community and encouragement began to flourish. Now that I do have bigger dreams, I can say this space of mine is not yet where I want it, but even so this journey has allowed me to meet and discover beautiful people and their blogs.  


Last week I was nominated for the Liebster Award, by Olivia of Simply Liv. And what a honor, because Simply Liv is a beautiful lifestyle blog, written by an adorable mother with honest and wise words about marriage and motherhood. I loved getting to learn a little bit about Olivia and was thrilled to find out she is a fellow English major/book lover. 

So, what is the Liebster Award? It is a blogger to blogger award that helps connect bloggers and grow their readership-- pretty spiffy, right? Once you're nominated you tell a bit about yourself by answering 11 questions asked by the blogger who nominated you and providing 11 random facts, and then of course passing on the love by nominating a few other blogs.

And with that here's my Q&A:


1- What is the story behind your blog?
Pages of Curiosity and Coffee Spills (it's a long title I know) came to be when I decided I wanted a creative outlet that encapsulated all of my favorite art forms: writing, photography and design. But mostly I wanted to provide a space that was authentic and judgement free-- a space where readers can feel safe, understood, inspired and encouraged, as they grow alongside me.  

2- If you could pick one place to live in for the rest of your life, where would it be and why?
This is such a hard question. Since specifics like "city" weren't used, I'm going to be sneaky and say Europe-- as a whole. Although, I've only been to the UK, I've always felt I belong in Europe. I'd love to live all over Europe, but France or Greece would do just fine.

3- Who is your inspiration?
I am inspired by people and their stories. There is so much that can be gained by listening to others' stories.

4- What is your favorite "guilty pleasure" TV show to binge watch?
Gilmore Girls. All day, everyday.

5- Sour or Sweet?
Honestly, this is consistently 50/50 for me. As of right this second I'd say sour. 

6- What is your "go-to" piece of clothing?

My wide brimmed black hat. I live under the thing-- it makes any outfit look pulled together & works well with my messy hair.

7- As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I went through way too many phases to write that list, but I remember the three I always came back to: marine biologist, fashion designer and writer.

8- What is your favorite room in your house and why?
Since I graduated college a month ago and I'm engaged, I'm currently living with family, so by default I have to say my room. But my favorite space is the wall that is home to my shelf of books and plants. This little space is the first thing I see when I walk into my room and I love it. Everything about it is calming and inspiring: the sea foam shelf, the vanilla pages, the green plants.

9- What is one of your passions (besides blogging)? 
People. As I mentioned before people's stories are so important to me. Along with that I am passionate about people feeling understood in their struggles. I struggle with anxiety and depression, so fighting the stigma against mental illness is another passion of mine, which all circles back to people.

10- Would you describe yourself as an introvert or an extravert?
Introvert. I have always been an introvert, but because I love talking I'm sometimes mistaken for an extravert. Don't be decieved, I love people, but I gain my energy from solitude. And although I love talking, I hate small talk. You'll find me asking nothing at all or asking all personal questions-- this can freak people out, but seriously I just want to get to know the real you.

11- What is one thing you want people to take away when they visit your blog?
The same thing my blog was founded on: authenticity.



11 Facts:

1- My fiance and I met when we were 14. 
2- I love classic books. I'm terrible about reading current authors-- I want to be better about this. 
3- I've journaled since I was seven, but I've lost most of my journals. 
4- I love frogs-- like, weirdly obsessed. As a child I had WAY to many frog stuffed animals and knick knacks. 
5- I spill coffee on my clothes (& papers/books/journals) on a regular basis-- hence my blog name. 
6- There's a 14 and 11 year gap between my sisters and me-- I'm the oldest. 
7- I look very young for my age-- I get mistaken for a high schooler on a daily basis, which is always awkward when I'm with my fiance who looks older for his age. I promise I'm 22. 
8- Thrift shopping is one of my hobbies. Almost all of my clothes are thrifted. 
9- I tend to have a crude sense of humor (I love Will Ferrell movies). 
10- One of my current goals is to get a book of poetry published. 
11- I have a Bachelor's in Journalism.  

My nominees:

Catherine from A Short Blonde 
Rachel from Dawn to Dusk 
Jordyn from She Who Fears 

You really should take a look at their spaces, because they are full of some beautiful things. 

11 Questions for my nominees:

1- What is the story behind your blog and it's name?
2- Where do you find daily inspiration?
3- What is your favorite part about blogging? 
4- How would you describe your style? 
5- What are you passionate about? 
6- Introvert or extravert? 
7- Movies or books, and why? 
8- If you could, what advice would you give yourself 5 years ago? 
9- What is one of your favorite quotes and why?
10- Top three things you don't go a day without? 
11- What is one thing you've learned about yourself through blogging?

5 comments:

  1. Awww... I love learning new things about bloggers!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I feel like we would be great friends ;) I love classics too and hardly ever read current authors- it's something I need to work on. I love your authenticity and heart behind your blog, Angel. I'll be following along with your lovely words!

    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Olivia! I had fun with the award :) I'm so thankful we found each other's blogs!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for the nomination!! And Yay for Gilmore Girls! We just started rewatching from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I think your blog is pretty great! And that makes my heart happy!

      Delete